Thursday, August 21, 2008

The First Day

well, we obviously made it to the first day of school, and beyond! Mikayla was a super star! she was up and dressed and ready to go an hour before it was time to leave for the bus!! she was so excited and reported that she got 3 recess times and that I pack too much food in her lunchbox!! She has already made several friends and even remembers some kids from last year in Kindergarten!! she is already loving school, and Mom is nervous because she has homework EVER DAY now, and a list of spelling words that she will be tested on this Friday!! Its not a big deal to her though... she just zips right through them... smart and sassy! just the way I like her!!


Jaden on the other hand had a pretty rough first day of Preschool... he had been so excited about school for so long (the 2 years Kayla has been going) that it never occurred to me that he would not want to go!! well, when we drove up to the school, he refused to get out of the car! so I dragged him out and we walked up to the door... well, he refused to go in. Now usually reverse psychology works really well on Jaden, so I told him to stay outside and only I could go in... to my surprise he looked relieved and said "yeah, Mom... you go in. I'll stay right here!" so I ended up talking him into coming in the room, and immediately his nose became fused to the bottom of my spine!! he wouldn't look up, look at the room, the kids, the teacher or anything!! he was SOO nervous... poor kid!! so after 10 minutes of trying to get him off my back, I just gave up and left... well, that's when the fireworks started!! he came screaming after me... by the time he caught up with me I was at the car putting Jax in his car seat... and Jaden was literally climbing over a 6 foot high fence trying to get out shouting "Mommy don't leave me here... take me with you!!" O BOY! I felt really bad for the teacher, but I knew that once I left, he would be OK... so I drove off. Well, 2 1/2 hours later when I drove up to the school, (the kids were on the playground by then) there was Jaden... playing and having a great time! the teacher said he screamed for about a half an hour after I left, then he got interested in story time, and was fine after that!! YAY! he really is enjoying it now, so that is good... when I picked him up yesterday from school he said he and the other boys were playing pirates on the big slide and looking through their binoculars... so I asked him if he likes school now, and (this is sooo Jaden) he said No, but he likes the playground!! at least he goes with no fuss, and I have never had such a quiet house!! I love it!

5 comments:

Jan T. said...

Yay! I was panicking as I started reading...I thought it was going to be a bad ending to a rough day! Glad he loved it in the end...glad mom has some peace & quiet for a minute. Every mom deserves at least that!:)

Jan T. said...

P.S. They both look so cute! You should be one proud little mama!

Lacey said...

How exciting for Kayla, she looks too cute. Poor Jaden, he'll warm up eventually. So jealous you have two kids gone at a time! Enjoy it.

Marshall and Ellen said...

I can just picture Jaden scaling that big fence! He is one determined boy... glad it all turned out fine, like you knew it would. Bet it was hard to drive off and leave him like that, but you did good! Love their first day of school pics!Especially the one where they are holding hands! That one says it all and will be priceless in years to come!

JessicaR said...

I know your pain! I started working full time and had to leave the kids at daycare....luckily it was with someone in our ward that they know...but the first week was tough! Screams at drop-off and the "pleeeeaaassee, I don't want to go!" ended soon though! Jaden looks so much like his daddy!