Friday, July 23, 2010

Musical Hospitals

About two months after Addy was born, I got this huge horrible pain in my abdomen... I was in so much pain, that all I could do was lay on my bed crying... My poor kids! It was just me and the two babies at home... Jaden was off playing at the neighbors, and Kayla and Brian were both at school... Addy was screaming, but I couldn't pick her up... Jax was crying because Addy and I were crying... it was a mess!! I finally got to my cell and called and called Brian till he answered (in the middle of class in OREM!!) So he left class and came home and took me to the ER... Turns out that it was my gallbladder... and yep, it needed to come out. It was full of stones and already full of infection. Luckily, my mom was able to come and help out and take care of everyone while all this was going on... I literally think she saved our lives!! I know she saved mine!! I was in the ER the day before Kayla went in for her diabetes, so we put my surgery off for a week while we took care of Kayla at the Children's Hospital. As soon as she came home, I went in... I had my gallbladder removed the day after we got home with Kayla. Luckily it was a same day surgery, and I was home right away, but honestly... not feeling great!!

The reason I hurried and rushed into having my surgery was because Kayla was scheduled for a craniotomy (brain surgery) the week after and I knew I would need to be back on my feet for that!! Six days after my surgery we were back at Children's for Kayla's brain surgery. She had some kind of tumor behind her eye that was pushing her eyeball out of her head... Once the surgery was over, the neurosurgeon told us it was a massive blood clot that was pressing down on her optic nerve and pushing so hard on her eyeball... It was so hard to see her back in for surgery... Before this year we had been having quite a run of good luck... it had been 4 years since her last brain surgery and she had been doing great!! I can't even describe how hard it is to walk into the PICU and see your little girl with tubes and IV's all over her little body, with her head all cut into and swollen!! It was terrible! But we could see right away that the surgery had been a success!! And she is such a little fighter, once we got most of her IV's out and pulled the drain out of her head, she bounced back like she always does... we went home only 3 1/2 days after her brain surgery!!

Needless to say, it's been a fairly rough year for us, medically, so far!! ER for me, ER for Kayla, 3 day hospital stay for Kayla, surgery for me, surgery and 3 day hospital stay for Kayla... all in a 3 week period!!!But here we are 3 months later with no major hospital stays, and all of us on the mend and doing better than we probably deserve!! Whew!! What a year we are having... I'm exhausted just writing about it!

**Sorry no pictures of any of this.. it was all I could do to keep up, I never even thought about a camera!!**

3 comments:

Brittney said...

No worries about the pictures. I need a nap just thinking about going through all of that! You guys are all fighters and we couldn't be more proud to be considered part of your family. We love you and so grateful and happy everyone is doing well right now!

JessicaR said...

That's simply crazy! I don't know how you guys manage it.. wow. I can't believe how big your kids are getting! Sorry I never worked out a time to see you before we moved, everything was so busy (for you too apparently) and now we're so far away. Too bad we didn't hang out more when we were so close!

Marshall and Ellen said...

Oh yes... I remember ALL of this narrative. Grateful for all the blessings we experienced. Love you all tons!