Sunday, September 7, 2008

some fun websites for us

sooo... I was bouncing around on the Super Nanny website... yes... I admit it. I LOVE the supernanny... I watch religiously... Brian even calls from work to ask what the SuperNanny is talking about today... even our (Mikayla's) therapist told us to get parenting advice from the super nanny!! so I feel somewhat secure in saying that I have a small addiction to her advice and ideas for raising and disciplining kids!! THEN I found her website... hmmm... yeah! there are all kinds of fun links, charts, even discussion groups with other moms. and you can watch clips from the TV show... So if you need a refresher course on the "bed time routine" (a big favorite around here!) just click on, and watch her go at it with a guinea pig family... it's great!!

but I really didn't like any of her reward charts... so I went looking. For any parent out there who likes to have their kids help out around the house... you should check out this website. It is called HandiLand and you basically make an online chore chart for your kids of things they need to do everyday. The website gives each child a "cat" to name and as they do their chores they are awarded two sets of points... purple points allow them to "shop" in the HandiLand catalog for clothes for your Cat, or you can buy furniture to decorate your "house"... the yellow points are for a more tangible reward... so if they have 50 yellow points saved up, they can choose between eating lunch at Wendy's, watching one hour of TV, going to Chuck E Cheeses etc... the fun thing is that YOU can customize the rewards so it can be things your kids love to do and would be doing anyway... but now they can only do it if they have the points saved up. My kids have really caught on to the saving part. they had to save enough points to go swimming at the Scera pool, so they went without snacks and TV time for a whole day!! I had so much fun with it, that I made myself a Cat and I buy her clothes and furniture too!! and I get points for doing house work etc... and also things like "learn a new word in French today" there are a million chores to choose from, or you can custom create your own...

It is really a lot of fun, and it works good for my kids, because they get to go online and check off what chores they do and go in and shop for the stuff they want!! check it out... it's great. I spend so much time on it, Brian is always asking if I am done hanging out with the 11 year olds!!

6 comments:

Lacey said...

I am totally going to check out these sites. It's funny because last Monday for family night we did job charts and showed them how to do the jobs they were assigned. My charts are kinda lame so this will be way better. Thanks for the tips! Oh and I'm doing great, huge, but great. I schedual my C-section this week for the 28th of Oct. so it will be official. Miss you all.

Jan T. said...

I'm on it...After I finish this comment I'm checkin' 'em out!:)

Robynn said...

OK, don't faint, it isn't the end of the world, I've finally figured out how to let this thing leave a comment! Hurray! I put your blog in my favorites here at work and will check in when I get a minute from time to time. Those websites look helpful. Wish they had been around when mine were young! Too late now!

JessicaR said...

I love Super Nanny too! It's always good to see families that are worse off than your own...hahahaha Thanks for the tips!

Jarmeg Family said...

Hi, i'm glad you visited my blog and come visit any time. I've heard a lot about you but don't think i've ever met you! So, i love supernanny too, she's the best! Thanks for the chore website too, i am signing up right now! Meghan
P.S. I am sorry to hear about your daughter, we will keep her in our prayers as well.

BarbaraJo said...

I am glad you found my blog. Now we can keep in touch. I can't believe you have two sons...Garrett will be so jealous.HA. Sounds like you've been through A LOT since I saw you last. Hope all continues well for Kayla.